- This event has passed.
3rd Annual Intersections of Violence: Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault, and Child Abuse Conference
July 18 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
This multidisciplinary conference is sponsored by the Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services, in partnership with the Commonwealth’s Attorneys’ Services Council, the Virginia Victims Fund, and the Virginia Victim Assistance Network. The three-day conference brings together law enforcement, prosecutors, victim advocates, child advocates, and other allied professionals to highlight promising practices and emerging issues to effectively respond to domestic violence, sexual assault, and child abuse in our communities. The main conference will be held from July 15-17, 2019. An optional post-conference training will be held on Thursday, July 18, 2019. The day-long post-conference training will focus on the intersections of trauma, addiction, and mental health.
The conference will include several internationally and nationally renowned presenters such as Adam Foss, Lawrence Simon, Mark Wynn, Joshua Safran, Dr. Gail Stern, Victor Veith, Ugami, Dr. Kermit Crawford, Dr. Louise Stanger, Justice 3D, and the National Network to End Domestic Violence.
Some of the Topics to be Covered:
· Recantation in Child Abuse Cases
· Stalking and Counter-Stalking
· A Multi-disciplinary Response to Domestic Violence
· Prosecution of Elder Abuse
· Vicarious Trauma
· Economic Justice for Victims of Interpersonal Violence
· Corroborative Evidence in Child Abuse Cases
· The Impact of Domestic Violence on Children
· Female Genital Mutilation
· Prosecution of Child Sexual Abuse
· Trauma-Informed Multidisciplinary Teams (MDTs)
· Equity, Privilege & Power: A Prosecutor’s Vision for a Better Justice System
· Opioid Abuse and Trauma
· Parenting After a Child Abuse Disclosure: How to Support the Non-Offending Parent
· Sexual Deviant Killers